ABOUT               CONTACT               HEALTH + WELLNESS               MARRIAGE + MINISTRY

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

7 takeaways from reading "Nourishing Wisdom"

I love food. I love eating food, tasting food, thinking about the food I will order at a restaurant, trying new recipes, experimenting with different types of eating, and enjoying the experience of food with others. 

It's okay to love food. But it's not okay when I find myself being controlled by food. For the past few years being controlled by food has been a true statement in my life. In the past few months, however, that statement has started to shift. I am growing and learning new techniques and ways to better my relationship with food so I can make it a loving one; free of negative control. I'm not perfect. I may never be a "perfect eater." But I'm choosing grace over perfection, and finding joy in the journey.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, or have clicked the "health + wellness" tab at the top of the page, you'll know that nutrition and leading a healthy lifestyle are important to me. I've talked a bit about a nutritional system I've tried (and still use), and my Mindset when it comes to food. These posts are extremely special to me. They tell just a small part of my nutritional story, but I'm proud to share these parts of my story little by little with others.


Displaying IMG_20160131_125153.jpg
I came across the work of Marc David, author of Nourishing Wisdom and founder of the Institute for the Psychology of Eating this past fall. I immediately connected with the theories of Mind - Body Nutrition and Dynamic Eating Psychology. I literally said to myself, "Where has this information been all my life?!" I am convinced that everyone needs to know about this, whether you have your own struggles with food, or if you are simply an "eater." (and duh, that's everyone!) I cannot recommend enough taking a look at their site, reading their blogs, and watching the videos of information that they provide. I trust that it has the ability to completely change the way you think about your relationship with food.


There is so much dietary confusion in our world today. We are constantly bombarded by what to eat, how to eat, how much to eat, what are "bad unhealthy foods" what are "good healthy foods," what type of exercise we should be doing...the pressure + opinions go on and on. I've so often succumbed to these pressures, and let crazy amounts of voices + information cause confusion, guilt, and hopelessness when it comes to the way I eat. Because of this, I knew I needed to read Marc David's book Nourishing Wisdom

There truly is a great amount of wisdom in this book and I most certainly cannot share it all with you. Instead, I want to highlight some "nuggets of information" that I found most profound and beneficial for me. 

Nourishing Wisdom "nuggets" of wisdom on nutrition and well-being

1. Nutrition is not only beneficial for mind and body, but it is the vehicle that allows us to serve our Creator + Savior, Jesus Christ
Now, I'm pretty sure Marc would not label himself as a Christian, but he certainly makes the point that there is something much bigger than ourselves, bigger than our bodies and the nutrition that we give it. Good nutrition is important, but it can only take us so far. Without a spiritual foundation, we struggle in our failures with food. What is your motive for being healthy? One reason is to honor the temple that God created for you. There is a deeper nutrition that feeds our soul, and that is the Word of God. So not only should we focus on improving our relationship with food, but improving our relationship with Jesus, the one who can help us overcome any and all challenges with food. Surrender your struggles to Him.

2. There is no "perfect diet." Every person is different.
"Perfection implies sameness. If everyone ate the one perfect diet, we would all be eating the same food." What works for one person may not work for another. There is so much guilt and shame being given to people who don't eat a certain way, but whose to say that it's wrong? I have fallen for this trap. The trap of believing certain foods are evil, and evil for everyone. I've judged others for the way they eat + shamed others I loved for their health choices. Let go of judgement towards others and towards yourself. There are numerous different environmental, health, age, seasonal, and lifestyle variations among people. We are constantly changing. What works for us one year, may not work the next. What works for us one day may not work tomorrow. There is no one perfect diet. We as eaters are on an ongoing process of learning and discovery when it comes to nourishing our bodies. 

3. There is no such thing as a "good food" or a "bad food"
Marc clarifies this, "I'm not saying that different foods do not either have positive or negative effects on health. I am saying that no food is morally good or morally corrupt."  I admit, I'm a moralizer when it comes to food. For so long I've labeled food as good and bad, and had a mindset of black and white, wrong or right when it comes to food. While sugar may have negative health effects, it does not "conspire" to decrease the calcium in your body. We should not think of food as good or evil, but as neutral. I'm a firm believer in "treat yo self." I love lattes, donuts, ice cream, pancakes, and fried chicken wings. But to tell myself that those foods are evil, and deprive myself of enjoyment with food is just not how I want to think. Listen to the feedback your body gives you. If you eat ice cream every day for lunch, chances are you won't feel your best. We may find that certain foods create an undesirable impact on our body, and we eat less of that food. But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy ice cream when on our summer vacation or watching a movie on a Saturday night. It is okay to choose a "not the best for our body food" as long as we make the choice consciously to enjoy it." And truly enjoy it! Savor all that creamy, sugary, savory, refreshing, warming, pleasant, whatever it is, goodness!

3. Eating is intentional
"We eat because we choose to eat, not because we are compelled to do so through habit." 
So much of my "disordered eating" stems from lack of intention when it comes to food. Do you lack intention when choosing to eat? Do you reach for food with out asking yourself: "Am I hungry? Will food satisfy my hunger? What would truly nourish me in this moment? Do I choose to eat now, or later?" Most often, if we stop to ask ourselves these questions, we are actually looking to fulfill a different area of our life. Maybe we are bored, thirsty, tired, running away from responsibilities, needing connection with others, etc. Once you have answered the question, you then have the ability to make a choice, and accept that choice fully.

4. Ask your body what it wants
Once you decide you are going to eat, you then have the opportunity to consciously choose what to eat. Marc suggests taking a few moments to close your eyes, take a breath, and let yourself be empty of expectations. What do you feel your body desiring? Our bodies have the ability to tell us what we need, but we must take the time to let it talk.

5. Eat with awareness
Be all there when you eat. Be mindful of every bite, take your time, go slow. Put your phone in the other room and turn the TV off. Sit with good posture, not bent over your food. Be aware of how the food is making you feel and how full you are getting. Think about the food you are eating and fully experience it.

6. Listen for feedback
Do not rush on to the next task on your to do list. Instead, as yourself how you feel. Are you full? Did you eat to much or too little? Do you feel heavy? Do you feel content? Are you still hungry? By doing this step, you allow yourself to understand how certain foods impact you positively, and those that impact you negatively. Often times the impact of food does not show up until days later. Be patient and aware of how your body feels throughout the next few days after eating certain foods. If you find a food does not serve you in a positive way, have this mindset: 

"I don't label this food as bad and I don't make their existence a crime against humanity. I just don't eat them because I don't enjoy the sensations they produce. Even if I eat something that is unhealthy for me, I do not punish myself. I am simply aware of it and learn from it. Self-acceptance is key. Accept yourself no matter how you eat, and you will lay the groundwork for real and lasting change."

Can I get an AMEN, HALLELUJAH for that?! I need to go write that down and post it where I see it every day. If that hit home for you, go do the same!

7. You may crave sugar due to high amounts of meat protein + salt in your diet.
This "nugget of wisdom" was new and so interesting to me! Protein, especially animal based protein, is a staple in my diet. And of course I like to sprinkle salt on most of my savory foods. I never made the connection that an abundance of those foods could cause cravings for sweets. Marc explains that, from an energetic perspective, meat and salt are highly contractive foods (yang), and sugar is a highly expansive substance (ying). The more you consume of one, the more you crave the other. It's simply your body looking for balance. 

But have no fear protein lovers. It is also true that if we lack protein in our diets, we can also crave more sweets. The reason: opposites, in there extremes, change into one another. An extreme lack of contractive food (meat) can cause us to desire the opposite, an extremely expansive substance like sugar. This all comes down to experimentation. Be curious, try more meat protein, try less, see how your body + cravings respond! I'm excited to be a "curious scientist" with my meat consumption/sugar cravings and dabble in more vegan/vegetarian meals (maybe it will help my checking account, too?! #organicmeatisexpensive $$$)


If any of this was interesting or informative for you, please, read Marc's book. Just do it! The "nuggets" I shared above only begin to scratch the surface of knowledge that I gained from reading the pages. This book is not just another "what to eat" guide. Instead, it tells you how to eat. In a world of perfect diets, food shaming, opinions, and good and bad when it comes to nutrition, this book is such a breath of fresh, non judgmental air to take in. I pray that if you choose to read this book, that it brings you much joy, peace, clarity, and simple action steps to improve your relationship with food like it did for me.

Much love and health,

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments mean tons + tons. Thank you!