ABOUT               CONTACT               HEALTH + WELLNESS               MARRIAGE + MINISTRY

Monday, February 8, 2016

A February Weekend.


Do you ever have a weekend that you look back on and think, "Man, that was good. I wish it wouldn't end."

Okay, so you probably feel that way most Mondays. But lately, I haven't always said that about our weekends. I've been in a "weekend slump." Feelings of discontentment have been setting in as uneventful after uneventful weekend came along. I feel guilty for having those feelings. I wanted so badly to sing the weekends praises. The usual simple joys of getting our house together, lounging, reading, writing, grocery shopping, and meal prepping just haven't been cutting it lately...

But this past weekend was different. It wasn't different in that we traveled somewhere or did something exciting. No, it was different in that I actually enjoyed the simple things; coffee dates, grocery shopping, time with friends, cleaning, baking...it was just plain good. I was singing the weekends praises again, and I'm so grateful I did. 

A good weekend deserves a shout out. Here's a look at our simple, yet incredibly good February weekend:





Friday:
A book store + coffee is my jam. I swear I will be the 80 year old woman sitting at the hip coffee shop all day long. While Saginaw isn't crawling with cute coffee shops; there is a Barnes + Noble. So Josh + I started off our Friday night there. I did some blogging + Pinteresting. He worked on his Bible study for Sunday. It was great. 
ALSO. Go listen to Ophelia, the new album/single from The Lumineers. Josh + I both love the Lumineers, and have been waiting so long for new music from them. When I got the Spotify email informing me that I could listen to "new music from the Lumineers" I got pretty giddy in the Barnes + Noble Starbucks. We then proceed to fight over politely discuss who got the headphones first to listen. #marriage
We left Barnes + Noble and had a couple drinks together + then met up with the other dorm staff for the rest of the night. Books + coffee + drinks + friends. Sounds like a great Friday to me. And it totally was.







Saturday:
Something I planned on doing this month was go to a "dance based" workout class once a week. On Saturday I tried Zumba. I loved it. I was a dancer growing up, and it's something that is just so stinkin' fun for me. Goal = dance more.
Another thing...I baked! Friends, I DO NOT  bake. Give me a dinner recipe, I'll cook it. Give me a brownie recipe, I'll burn it. Today I burned some gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free (#allthefrees) blueberry muffins. I'm not too picky when it comes to baked goods, so they will most definitely still be eaten. They just might look more like muffin tops...
In other Saturday news...our oven likes to smoke, which then potentially sets off the fire alarm, and will then cause the dozens of people in the gymnasium for a basketball tournament to evacuate the building. That didn't actually happen, (praise the Lord) but it meant having 3 different fans blowing and our windows open for a time, letting the balmy 35 degree breeze blow in. I felt a hint of "spring," and I wasn't complaining.



Sunday:
Church, nap, meal prep, SUPER BOWL FOOD! That was the gist of our Sunday. We started out the day thinking it would just be Josh + I getting take out and vegging out on our couch, but we ended up heading over to a friends house and I'm so happy we did. I ate "all the things" and was loving on that guacamole alllllll night! 

A few Super Bowl thoughts:
-overall I was super unimpressed this year with commercials! Puppymonkeybaby?! Superbowl babies?! What was with all the car commercials?

-Beyonce. You win at life. Bruno Mars, you're pretty great. Cold Play...I love you, I really do, but your genre of music seemed a little out of place in my opinion?! Maybe I'm wrong...

-Yay Broncos! I've always like Peyton Manning. #classact

-If you follow me on Instagram, I shared a bit about feeling guilt over all the yummy food I ate, but was encouraged by the words of my friend Keatra:


"Tomorrow is Monday, and my first thought after eating some incredibly delicious food, desserts, and drinking a lovely beer was, "back on track tomorrow." And you know what? Forget that.
For me, this is ON track. This is health. This is wellness. This is balance. The way we word things, the way we categorize food into good vs. bad, the way we create strange barriers - for some of us it just has to go, it has to change. Our minds deserve better, especially when the end goal is to treat our bodies better."
Ummmmm, preach it girl! This is exactly the type of mindset that I have been trying to have today. I'm accepting + embracing the food and company from yesterday and seeing it as part of my healthy lifestyle. I will let go of that guilt and remind myself that I am still on track...I never got off.


There you have it. Our lovely little weekend. I hope to share more of our simple, yet enjoyable weekends in the future so I can look back and cherish this season in our marriage. 
Happy Monday, friends.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I have been feeling the same way! Feeling like we were so boring because we didn't have any "fun" extravagant weekends planned! The thing is I love the "mundane" weekend tasks most of the time and wish for them when we have crazy weekends! I guess it's just learning to be content with whatever comes your way. Such a struggle for me too!

    ReplyDelete

your comments mean tons + tons. Thank you!