ABOUT               CONTACT               HEALTH + WELLNESS               MARRIAGE + MINISTRY

Monday, December 7, 2015

A Michigan Christmas - 2015


It's Christmas time in our apartment in Michigan. Twinkling lights, Nsync's "Merry Christmas" playing, and a pine candle burning (since our tree is fake this year...sigh) are all things to be seen, heard, and smelled. I love this time of year; especially decorating for it.

I have enjoyed making our apartment feel more like a home; but by no means am I an interior decorator. Josh and I do not live in a chic downtown loft apartment or a quaint little cape cod on the outskirts of town. We don't have a lot of windows for natural light, hardwood floors, or bright white painted walls. Our kitchen is older, and 80% of our walls are cinder block. 

Sometimes I can get caught up in the comparison game; and feel lesser than someone who has a "nicer" home. I see beautiful Instagram's of sweet + simple homes and house decor, and think negatively about my living situation. It's quite a selfish and ungrateful way to feel. God continues to show me my weakness in this area, and I pray he allows my heart + mind to change when these thoughts arise.

Our home serves the purpose of keeping us safe; and we have the responsibility to take care of it. How well decorated it is does not matter. The size, big or small, is not important. The great lighting, location, or style of the place we live is insignificant. In reality, I have so much to be thankful for when it comes to our home.

For starters, I love sharing a home with Josh. And most days, I love and appreciate every inch our our little apartment. I really shouldn't even call it little. It is just as big, if not bigger, as our Milwaukee apartment. We have more windows + light then we did last year, our kitchen is larger, and we have our own washer + dryer!!! (hallelujah) We were also blessed to have Josh be called to a position as a pastor where our housing is rent free. We are so thankful. Michigan has been fantastic for us so far. 

At times this apartment may not seem like the best canvas for cozy Christmas decorations; but I'm finding joy in what God has provided us, and using "what I have, where I am."















No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments mean tons + tons. Thank you!