ABOUT               CONTACT               HEALTH + WELLNESS               MARRIAGE + MINISTRY

Monday, December 14, 2015

Making Things Happen in 2016


Make it Happen PowerSheets // Six-Month Set

I love what Lara Casey says about setting goals for the new year,

"There is nothing magical about January 1st."

Like many people, in years past I have made goals for the coming new year. These goals were always constructed at some point in January, after I disregarded personal growth in December, and was riding high on the "new year, new me" mentality. I would always feel fired up, ready to take on a new year, and encouraged by others around me setting goals. Unfortunately, that passion and fire would quickly fizzle come March.

I have always been a passionate dreamer, but I have struggled to be a "doer" when it comes to accomplishing goals. I think the major reason this has happened is that I was simply not as invested in personal development. I had goals, but wasn't ever too serious about them. I often set too lofty of goals, or too many goals, and I found myself being complacent with where I was. I did not have a clear focus and vision of the person I wanted to become throughout the new year.

This past year I feel like I have come to know and understand myself a bit more. I've experienced a "coming into myself" you could say. I've had more life experiences, discovered more and more about marriage and working alongside Josh. I was challenged by becoming a pastor's wife, moving to a new state, job changes, and trusting that God does have a plan, even when things didn't seem to be how they should. Because of all of these changes and challenges, I've found importance in personal growth.

In 2015 I chose a word for the year. That word was faithfulness.
I wanted to show faithfulness in my relationship with Jesus, faithfulness to showing Josh love and kindness, faithfulness in bettering my health, faithfulness to my work, faithfulness to other relationships in my life, and faithfulness to any type of goals (small or large) I had in the coming year.

2015 had it's ups and downs, accomplishments and set backs, learning and growing, showing faithfulness and struggling to show it. I loved having a simple word that I could focus on. Something that looked small, but impacted numerous areas of my life.

This year, I am not waiting until January 1st. There is nothing magical about that day. This year I am planning now. I am taking action now. Here's how:

Displaying 2015-12-13 08.08.42 1.jpg

I have these two words on my vision board, right next to my bed. This phrase is my goal for 2016.

Consistent Action

I am striving to be consistent. My tasks, goals, and actions do not have to be perfect or grand, just consistent. I will strive to take small, imperfect steps towards my goals. There will be bumps in the road, set backs, and failures. But in those things, there will be consistency. There will be no giving up, or calling it quits. When I get down, no matter how long I am down, I will get back up and move forward with grace and patience. In 2016 I will strive for consistency over perfection.

I am striving to take action. Too often I have found myself complacent; stuck in negative thoughts + actions. Instead, I hope to take positive + proactive action. I no longer want to hope for my dreams, but I want to make them a reality. Instead of saying, "I will read more this year," or "I will make prayer more consistent in my daily life," or "We will stick to a budget," I will take action towards accomplishing those things. In 2016 I will take small, consistent actions to accomplish my goals.

I am so passionate about these two words. These words give me extreme excitement for the next year. 2016 is going to be BIG. I can't wait to see what God has in store for me personally, and for Josh and I as a family. 

I am continually reassured by the fact that God gives us a chance, right now, and every day, to start new. I will surely pray for, and ask the Lord to make consistent action a reality in my life through out 2016.

My prayer for the new year:

Lord Jesus,
You have graciously and lovingly brought me through this past year. In the same way, please guide and direct my steps in this coming year. Be with me, hold my hand, comfort me, and draw me ever closer to you. Allow me to grow in all areas of my life. In my relationship with you, my trust and patience, my study of your word, my marriage, my health, my thoughts and actions, my relationships with friends and family, my career, and my personal development. In all of these things, help me to have consistent action; taking small steps towards my goals. Help me to start these things now. I do not want to wait or hold back. Give me the fearlessness and trust in you, that you will direct my paths. Your plans for me are more grand than I can put into thought. Allow me to trust in those plans. And most importantly, help me to fix my heart  and focus on the grace and love your Son showed me by dying on the cross. I not only have hope in this life on earth, but hope in my eternal life in heaven. Thank you Jesus. Amen.

How do you plan for the new year? Do you have a single word? Do you right out goals? Maybe you do both! Whatever way you plan for the year, I pray that you find the importance in starting those goals now. DO NOT WAIT! There is nothing magical about January 1st. Find your excitement and passion for the new year today.



P.S. I updated the "Health + Wellness" page! (you'll find the link at the top of my page)


No comments:

Post a Comment

your comments mean tons + tons. Thank you!